Each book is updated a few times a week, so please check back often. Click on the page tabs to read all of the posts in order.

WHISPERS - Eliza hears ghosts, maybe because, like them, she has no voice. She has been hidden and controlled most of her life by her step-father, the leader of a small cult. As her eighteenth birthday approaches, Eliza and her parents travel to New Orleans to collect her inheritance. An inheritance her grandmother never wanted to see Eliza's step-father get his hands on.

FLASHES OF LIGHTNING - Laney sees bits of the future like flashes of lightning in her mind. It should be easy to navigate school, friends, and boys if you know the future, right?

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Flashes - Chapter 6

FLASHES - CHAPTER 6
I keep trying to have a flash during second and third period. Some of Trinity’s clones are in my next two periods, and they’ve been busy telling anyone who will listen about what happened in painting.

It’s no fun walking through the halls knowing people are whispering about you. I know, I thought it was cool on Friday, but on Friday they were whispering good things about me.

I figure if I show up at lunch and can tell everyone who Trinity’s going to the dance with, this will be old news by the end of the day, right?

I have a flash, finally, while I’m dumping my stuff in my locker before lunch. Cameron, dressed like Frankenstein, lying on a lab table, just like in the movie, and the crazy scientist guy is pulling the lightening switch down while doing his evil laugh.

Trinity’s going to the Halloween dance with Cameron? Never going to happen. And not just because she’s obviously doesn’t love the guy. Can you imagine Trinity going to the dance dressed as the Bride of Frankenstein?

Maybe when I try to make myself have a flash, I get nonsense visions.

Or maybe Trinity was on to something when she called me crazy.

Okay. So my options are skip lunch and hide in the library until this blows over, or eat while everyone laughs at me. Great choices.

“Did you forget your lunch?” Abbey asks when I shut my locker door without getting it out. Where did she come from? “I can share mine with you, if you want.”

That means she’s willing to sit by me at lunch. How bad can it be if someone sits by me? Pretty bad actually, but I’m starving.

“Oh yeah.” I smack my forehead with my hand. “It’s lunch. I was thinking it was fourth period.” I reopen my locker.

A boy with a million freckles, that I swear I have never seen before, starts in on me before I even sit down at the table. Um, manners? I’m pretty sure lunchroom rules state he’s supposed to let me take a bite of food before he tries to make me cry.

“Hey Laney, are you going to show us more of your psychic powers today?” he sneers.

“Just drop it,” Abbey says to him. Those red streaks in her hair make her look tough and scary while she’s staring down Freckle Boy. Which is funny because the rest of the time they make her look perky. Maybe I should try some color in my hair. Blue would go with my eyes, but it’s the color Trinity said I could have, so that’s not happening.

Nobody else brings it up again during lunch. In fact, nobody but Abbey even talks to me, but as I see it, being ignored is better than spending lunch in the library. I talk with Abbey the whole time, and it turns out, she’s into post-impressionistic art too. Very cool. In math, my vision is interrupted with a familiar flash of lightening. Trinity tripping and dropping all of her books in the hall.

Yes. A little bit of payback is coming Trinity’s way. I laugh out loud, and the teacher looks up just long enough to glare at me.

“What’s so funny?” Freckle Boy whispers from the seat next to me. So I guess that means I have seen him before. How could I have not noticed someone with that many freckles?

“I just had a flash of Trinity tripping in the hall and dropping her books.”

“Right,” he says. “You wish.”

But she does trip. Right outside of my math classroom. While we’re filing out of it. It’s beautiful.













No comments:

Post a Comment